The boys try to stay positive in the face of disappointment, but who's topic was this anyway? Recorded one day after the 2018 U.S. mid-term election, please endure a nearly content-free clip-show. Blame us for the lack of content, but not for the audio quality...this one almost didn't happen.
Front Matter & Fake Follow Up
- Follow-up copyright John Siracusa 2011
- Matt and his life-partner bought another house! They have a his/hers situation for now (like they always wanted). They’ll probably flip or rent one of them in a year or so, depending on the market.
- New house has some mastic glue residue on the floors, so Matt considering vinyl planking as an option
- Oddly, Jody trying to sell a house...
- Mousetrap cars at the Physics Bowl
- judges were disappointing...so were the tornadoes
- Matt on a solid fitness kick, he goes to Crunch in the AM before work 3-5 times a week.
- On three of those trips he runs around in circles upstairs
- For the other 2 he uses weight machines or the TRX (although the last two weeks it's been amazing running weather outside)
- Matt trying for a new 5K personal-best, if he doesn’t hit it, consider it another disappointment
- Jody...non-fitness kick, but he’s been running a bit
- silly tire flip machine
- Something about a color run?
Brief election talk on day after mid-term election...
- Rising tide vs capitalism/protectionism
and the real topic...Disappointment
- Jody often has a let-down feeling after making something cool with software...like, "now what?"
- some (potentially) applicable tublr.com links
- Matt forgot a big one: his students' AP scores last year were atrocious. Every year, right before the test, Matt will mentally (or sometimes on paper) make a list of AP students, categorizing them as “Definite Pass, Definite Fail, or 50/50”. He's almost always proven right on categories 1 and 2, and about half the 50/50 kids make it.
- After last year, he might need to stop doing this. Every single one of the 50/50 kids failed (as did one of the “definite passes”).
- Matt went to the AP Summer Institute with a real sense of desperation; looking for anything to staunch the bleeding. He walked out with a little more hope
- Now, 12 weeks, or whatever, into the school year, Matt knows he has some strong kids, and many are really putting in work, but he's still super scared of another huge May disaster
- Matt didn’t get dept-chair job...see ALYT lore
- Aha!, this must be where the "Disappointment" topic idea came from...
- Jody surprises Matt w/a question...how many rehearsals are ideal for a lab or a lesson?
- Matt replies w/”friction” and the magic number might be 3
- Obligatgatory xkcd, this time an old favorite w/ben franklin establishing the direction of electrical charge flow
- Jody studied the wrong thing in college...wtf didn't he do Computer-Science???
- Matt messed that up too...should’ve done hard science. He still thinks about doing some kind of physics degree
- Jody broke his giant Nexus6 phone :-(
- Considering Oneplus 6T as replacement
- Also Google Pixel 3 (but it's expensive)
- Matt recommends the movie BlacKkKlansman
- This episode wouldn't exist without Zencastr, we were able to record a podcast from inside a web-browser...but it's also potentially at fault for Jody's bad audio quality
- Jody deeply regrets not having these ready in time to be used on the soundboard we had available for this episode: